Skip to main content

Drain plug screws

Today I used a 13/64" bit to drill two oversized holes in the transom and through the backing blocks that I epoxied in yesterday. Be very careful drilling! You want the bottom of the hole to be near or even slightly into the bottom of the hull, but you do NOT want to drill through the bottom!! I almost did. You can see that the holes both dig into the bottom planking. As it is it'll work great, but if I had gone any further then I would have had to do some repair work. Yikes!

In the picture below you can see the two 3/4" 10-24 SS hex screws just sitting in the holes. They are very loose and can slip right out.


The holes are oversized so that there is still room for thickened epoxy.

Then I waxed the screws well with candle wax and set them aside.

I mixed up a small batch of epoxy and clear coated the insides of the holes so that epoxy would soak into the bare wood. With the remaining epoxy I mixed in thickener to about the peanut butter stage and with a mixing stick worked it into the holes. The screws were coated as well and I carefully inserted them into the holes and gave them a little twist to work the epoxy in well.

A lot of thickened epoxy squeezed out the bottom and I cleaned that up. The idea is that you can barely see the threads on the inside of the hole. You can sort of see them in the picture below. Compare the two pictures and you can just barely see little bits of the thread.


Tomorrow after the epoxy has thoroughly hardened I will take my Allen wrench (I'm using hex screws) and will sharply snap the screws loose. They should come right out... fingers crossed!!

A little cleanup and chiseling will be needed to open up the holes on the inside but that should be easy. 

Then I can use clean 1/2" 10-24 SS hex screws and a small neoprene washer to make the actual drain plugs. The sacrificial screws are 3/4" to make sure that they stick all the way through the holes. I had some 1" screws but they were too long. I'll hang onto the sacrificial ones though as you must keep something in the holes when you paint or varnish to keep the threads clear.

This is what the transom looks like with the screws set in place. There will be some cleanup required, mostly sanding, on the transom tomorrow when the screws come out.



More tomorrow!


Peace!  _/)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the Salish 475 RC Sailboat

Yes, it's the same boat, but with a new name all its own... the Salish 475 RC Sailboat . Perhaps it should be formally known as the Coast Salish 475 in homage to the First Nations Coast Salish peoples of the Pacific Northwest and to better define it as being from the PNW coast. Some might object to it being named after a people though, so in that case it will be simply the Salish 475 as in the Salish Sea. Although I have taken 9 credits at the University of Washington from Bill Holm on Northwest Coast Native American art, I do not have adequate talents yet to incorporate NW Coast art onto the boat. Perhaps in a future boat! A number of ideas were floated on the RC Groups discussion , but the final vote was my wife's. I like it! By the way... it's pronounced "Say lish". The Coast Salish 475 : LOA: 47.5" Beam: 11.375" Weight: 14.5 lbs, 9 of it in the bulb (Yes, it could easily be build lighter... this was the prototype) Kiln-dried cedar

Moving to a new RC Sailboat blog! Check it out...

Since I've now sold the T37 , and have completed these two Star 45's (well... one Star 45 and one Salish 475), I thought it would be a good time to end these two blogs and focus on one generic RC Sailboat blog where I could post any new RC sailboat projects. Please check out my new blog at http://www.rcmodelyachts.com/ . Or you can use my older address of http://rcsailboats.blogspot.com/ . If interested in the Star 45 Construction Manual , you have two options: 1. An electronic PDF version for $20. Email me for details and payment. You will send a PayPal payment to my account and then I will email you the PDF. 2. For a full-color, printed copy (they're coil bound so they will stay open to any page!), go to Lulu Press . They are $35 and only take a week or so to get to you. So with that, I'm officially signing off! Peace!

Salish 475 pictures

More pictures of the new Salish 475 RC (radio control) Sailboat... Hope you like it! Also see the posting on RC Groups under Sailboats . See what else I'm working on at my other blog: http://www.rcmodelyachts.com.  Until I develop a logo/icon/symbol thing for the Salish 475 I'll just use the numbers on the sail. You can see them in the picture below using the font Slugfest. The logo/icon thing will need to be in the Northwest Native American art style and reflective of the Coast Salish people (or maybe some of the people's a bit to the north... Haida, etc... they also have amazingly beautiful art!) Aloha!  _/) Fine art radio control sailboat. Wooden radio controlled sailboat. classic wooden radio control sailboat. Star 45 RC Sailboat. Salish 475 RC sailboat. R/C Wooden Salish 475 RC Sailboat radio control sailboats Star 45Radio Control. Radio Sailing. Classic wood sailboat. Cedar hull planking. Cedar sailboat bottom. Wooden sail