Skip to main content

Alternate frame placements for the new experimental Star 45x RC sailboat

Today I got out my strongback that I used on the first Star 45 and cleaned it up a bit. The original frame bases came right off and the bottom balsa alignment pieces stayed in place. Bit of luck there!

I removed the frames from the laser cut panels and cleaned them up a bit. I was very careful last time to be sure to clean up all the laser burn marks but this time I'm being lazy.



The new frames slipped right in place but I haven't glued them in place yet. Let me explain why.

My intention in building this second Star 45 is to make an experimental version that updates the design just a touch. The Star 45 has a very classic design, but it's also somewhat modern in the front sections and reminiscent of a modern offshore ocean racing yacht like a Volvo Ocean 65.

I really like the look of the modern Volvo Ocean yachts and other similar variations. My idea is to tweak the Star 45 to make it look somewhat similar. Not an exact knockoff mind you... I want to use the existing frames and make it easy on myself. But I'd really like to incorporate a few of the signature design elements of the ocean racers into my new Star. For example; a wide aft beam, open transom, etc...

Take a look at this image. Notice that the sides of the boat are at roughly the same incline for the entire hull. The Star frames do the same thing. Notice the gentle bottom curve. Same with the Star. With a bit of tweaking I think I can use the standard Star 45 frames to make a new, ocean racing Star 45x!

http://medberths.com/2011/11/volvo-ocean-race-how-to-follow-the-action/
Click the picture to go to the original website where you can see more images of ocean racing yachts

I intend to keep a slight aft curve to my deck plan instead of the 'arrow' style that the true ocean racers have so that my boat will still turn. I also will stick to a single rudder. It will be deep enough to turn the boat while healing.

So tonight I've been playing around with frame placement and think that I've got an idea that would make it all come together. I've placed frames 1 through 6 in the normal spots. But then I skipped a slot and place frame 7 in slot 8, and then skipped another slot and placed frame 8 in slot 10. What this looks like is that the aft transom will be quite a bit wider than the normal Star 45 but will still carry the smooth curves of the bottom and sides.


I'm going to sleep on this for a few days and try to think of why it should and should not work. Of course I'll need to make commensurate adjustments to keel placement and will probably carry the rudder much further aft than normal. In fact, the entire rig will probably have to come aft but that should look OK too.

So... anyone have any thoughts? Please let me know!

Yes, of course this Star 45x will not be class legal. I know that and don't intend to race it against any other Star's as the closet one I know of is 700 miles away in San Francisco.  

Anyway, what do you think? I'd love to hear from some of you about what else I should be thinking about in order to pull this off!


Peace!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the Salish 475 RC Sailboat

Yes, it's the same boat, but with a new name all its own... the Salish 475 RC Sailboat . Perhaps it should be formally known as the Coast Salish 475 in homage to the First Nations Coast Salish peoples of the Pacific Northwest and to better define it as being from the PNW coast. Some might object to it being named after a people though, so in that case it will be simply the Salish 475 as in the Salish Sea. Although I have taken 9 credits at the University of Washington from Bill Holm on Northwest Coast Native American art, I do not have adequate talents yet to incorporate NW Coast art onto the boat. Perhaps in a future boat! A number of ideas were floated on the RC Groups discussion , but the final vote was my wife's. I like it! By the way... it's pronounced "Say lish". The Coast Salish 475 : LOA: 47.5" Beam: 11.375" Weight: 14.5 lbs, 9 of it in the bulb (Yes, it could easily be build lighter... this was the prototype) Kiln-dried cedar

Moving to a new RC Sailboat blog! Check it out...

Since I've now sold the T37 , and have completed these two Star 45's (well... one Star 45 and one Salish 475), I thought it would be a good time to end these two blogs and focus on one generic RC Sailboat blog where I could post any new RC sailboat projects. Please check out my new blog at http://www.rcmodelyachts.com/ . Or you can use my older address of http://rcsailboats.blogspot.com/ . If interested in the Star 45 Construction Manual , you have two options: 1. An electronic PDF version for $20. Email me for details and payment. You will send a PayPal payment to my account and then I will email you the PDF. 2. For a full-color, printed copy (they're coil bound so they will stay open to any page!), go to Lulu Press . They are $35 and only take a week or so to get to you. So with that, I'm officially signing off! Peace!

Salish 475 pictures

More pictures of the new Salish 475 RC (radio control) Sailboat... Hope you like it! Also see the posting on RC Groups under Sailboats . See what else I'm working on at my other blog: http://www.rcmodelyachts.com.  Until I develop a logo/icon/symbol thing for the Salish 475 I'll just use the numbers on the sail. You can see them in the picture below using the font Slugfest. The logo/icon thing will need to be in the Northwest Native American art style and reflective of the Coast Salish people (or maybe some of the people's a bit to the north... Haida, etc... they also have amazingly beautiful art!) Aloha!  _/) Fine art radio control sailboat. Wooden radio controlled sailboat. classic wooden radio control sailboat. Star 45 RC Sailboat. Salish 475 RC sailboat. R/C Wooden Salish 475 RC Sailboat radio control sailboats Star 45Radio Control. Radio Sailing. Classic wood sailboat. Cedar hull planking. Cedar sailboat bottom. Wooden sail