Skip to main content

Maiden Voyage!

Finished the final bits this morning and then, after six months, took her out for the maiden voyage! It was perfect! The boat sails wonderfully and I am so happy with how it did!

And it happened on Opening Day of Yachting Season too! Perfect sailing day!

My Star 45 RC Sailboat on its maiden voyage!

Star 45 RC Sailboat on her maiden voyage

It was a very gusty morning with some good winds and a few calms... got to try her out on just about every type of wind.

Now it's time to do some tweaking and to finish the construction manual. Can't wait to sail her again and I really hope that some others decide to build their own Star 45 in the Seattle area so we can get a fleet going. Contact me if you're building one in the Seattle area.

In the picture below you can see the cedar planked bottom. I think it looks great!

Star 45 RC Sailboat Cedar Plank Bottom

In these images  you can also get a good look at the Carr Sails that I'm using. Rod Carr, one of the original Star 45 sailors, makes beautiful sails. He suggests a way to use small, metal slugs that fit in the mast track as a way to attach the sails. Follow his instructions (be sure to cut the slugs in half) and hang the sails as he suggests. It is MUCH better than a bolt rope!

Star 45 RC Sailboat custom stand


Here is a close-up of the slug 'jackwire' system the Carr Sails recommends to use. It's a bit like a traditional 'hanked' on system on big boats. The jackwire runs inside the luff of the sail. This is not a good picture because it looks like a wire is coming out of the slug, but that is actually one of the stays in the background. The actual wire can barely be made out inside the luff. Every 5" I cut a small window opening. The idea is that you feed the wire through the luff and every 5" it hits one of the openings. You then thread the wire through one of the slugs and then back into the luff. Then run it to the next window and so on. When the whole sail has been threaded then you slide each of the slugs down the mast track. Finally the wire is swaged on each end... one end to the mast crane and the bottom end to a screw or such drilled into the mast just above the boom.


Close-up of the spreaders I made. I like them, but if I hadn't had the bolt-eye's sitting around I would next time make them out of thinner, and simpler, brass tubing that is pinched and drilled at the ends. Or I'd use cotter pins in the ends. Either way is fine.



Peace!



Comments

  1. Hi i have started to build a star 45 and have found your blog very useful, keep the great work up! I am a little unsure about how to attach my keel mounting tubes to the bulkheads. Also could I use12mm plywood for the keel or would that be to heavy? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elias,

    Thanks for your comments!

    You essentially just drill holes straight down through your boat so that the tubes can run all the way through, and then you epoxy them in so they don't leak. To help the epoxy stick you can rough up the places where the tubes are epoxied with heavy grit sand paper. Read through the blog some more as I think there are a couple entries about it.

    Good luck!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments regarding building a Star 45.

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the Salish 475 RC Sailboat

Yes, it's the same boat, but with a new name all its own... the Salish 475 RC Sailboat . Perhaps it should be formally known as the Coast Salish 475 in homage to the First Nations Coast Salish peoples of the Pacific Northwest and to better define it as being from the PNW coast. Some might object to it being named after a people though, so in that case it will be simply the Salish 475 as in the Salish Sea. Although I have taken 9 credits at the University of Washington from Bill Holm on Northwest Coast Native American art, I do not have adequate talents yet to incorporate NW Coast art onto the boat. Perhaps in a future boat! A number of ideas were floated on the RC Groups discussion , but the final vote was my wife's. I like it! By the way... it's pronounced "Say lish". The Coast Salish 475 : LOA: 47.5" Beam: 11.375" Weight: 14.5 lbs, 9 of it in the bulb (Yes, it could easily be build lighter... this was the prototype) Kiln-dried cedar

Moving to a new RC Sailboat blog! Check it out...

Since I've now sold the T37 , and have completed these two Star 45's (well... one Star 45 and one Salish 475), I thought it would be a good time to end these two blogs and focus on one generic RC Sailboat blog where I could post any new RC sailboat projects. Please check out my new blog at http://www.rcmodelyachts.com/ . Or you can use my older address of http://rcsailboats.blogspot.com/ . If interested in the Star 45 Construction Manual , you have two options: 1. An electronic PDF version for $20. Email me for details and payment. You will send a PayPal payment to my account and then I will email you the PDF. 2. For a full-color, printed copy (they're coil bound so they will stay open to any page!), go to Lulu Press . They are $35 and only take a week or so to get to you. So with that, I'm officially signing off! Peace!

Salish 475 pictures

More pictures of the new Salish 475 RC (radio control) Sailboat... Hope you like it! Also see the posting on RC Groups under Sailboats . See what else I'm working on at my other blog: http://www.rcmodelyachts.com.  Until I develop a logo/icon/symbol thing for the Salish 475 I'll just use the numbers on the sail. You can see them in the picture below using the font Slugfest. The logo/icon thing will need to be in the Northwest Native American art style and reflective of the Coast Salish people (or maybe some of the people's a bit to the north... Haida, etc... they also have amazingly beautiful art!) Aloha!  _/) Fine art radio control sailboat. Wooden radio controlled sailboat. classic wooden radio control sailboat. Star 45 RC Sailboat. Salish 475 RC sailboat. R/C Wooden Salish 475 RC Sailboat radio control sailboats Star 45Radio Control. Radio Sailing. Classic wood sailboat. Cedar hull planking. Cedar sailboat bottom. Wooden sail